Ahhhh.. the beauty of home schooling.
There are several. Beauties. But the one that keeps me SANE is our three weeks on/ one week off schedule. It makes for a short summer, but it’s worth it to have regular breaks. Our last break was the week the nephs were in the house. Not going back there – but if YOU want to, click here and keep reading until the “In Which I Appease My Inner Voice” post.
Anyway. We’re off this week. GUH-LORY!
It’s an important week to be off. I need to spend a lot of time in counseling preparing for the arrival of my Mother on Thursday night. I’ve got security measures to put in place this week, now that I have things to protect y’all.
Here’s the short list. I’m not even kidding.
• Establish a new desktop user. You know, one without my blog email server, Firefox bookmarks, etc. (Because Frank Abagnale Mother WILL ask to use my computer. She always does.)
• Create Auto-posts for Friday and Saturday, because we’ve already established that it’s not in my nature to abandon my readers. And I will NOT be logging on.
• Etc. And may I just point out how HUGE that ETC. really is? Because my Mother is coming and did I really just abbreviate etcetera in context to my MOTHER? *snort*
And, I’ve also got to…..
• ENJOY my children. They need me this week. And I need them. I am grateful for the extra time to connect with them.
• Restore some order to my house, which really should be ready for showings. Except that we haven’t HAD any showings.
• Rest. Listen. Receive. The Holy Spirit had my number in church yesterday when He practically screamed at audibly spoke to me, “Shut up and listen, already”. You know the call. Reproachful, yet gentle and loving. I’m so glad God doesn’t “do” condemnation. My time with the Lord has taken back seat to the rest of life, including this blog. (gulp) Ahhhh, my black heart didn’t even put this at the top of the list where it belongs.
I gotta’ confess….. (and I can do that because this is anonymous and the home school office isn’t reading) While I’m feeling like I NEED this break, I do not feel like I have EARNED it based on my home schooling efforts of late. I have basically sucked at that part of my job description since February.
I don’t know if it’s the blog, the winter slump, my loss of vision for home schooling, our unusually out-of-control schedule, or a combination of the four, but I’ve lost it. We’ve remained faithful in the core stuff, and my Nina is done with her standardized testing. Lover Boy is preparing for his. But I really want to finish well. So, I’ve got this week to get my act together for the last four week stretch.
I mean, every year we go through a post-Holiday slump, but this is different. And it leads me to believe God is calling us out of this hard core home schooling season. Which means He’s preparing us for a new season, and since He does all things well, I’m finding myself feeling less guilty and more excited about it.
Hubby is out of town, so that gives me even more time to (and fewer excuses not to) crank out a productive week.
I wonder what the Lord has in store….